Monday, February 22, 2010

Snow Painting




I had never heard of snow painting until now. I was admiring some awesome clothes handmade by an artist at 1000markets where I have a shop.

I recently joined a new group called StitchMAP I found it through Stitching Fingers (Ning). They had a challenge for snow painting. So I got out my unbleached muslin, bought some paint, found a grate and tray. Now I needed some snow so I went out in the bitter cold and gathered up some pretty white snow. I wet and crunched up the muslin and put it on the grate and tray then covered the wet muslin with the snow. Now the fun part! I squirted the paint all over and waited for the snow to melt. I then stuck it in the microwave and cooked it till it was dry then ironed it. Now I have some awesome fabric it kinda reminds me of my favorite Batik fabric. Now I wait for the next challenge at StitchMAP which will be creating something beautiful with my new fabric. Fabric I painted!!

5 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Love the Fabrics you created..really pretty...I remember doing this as a child but we didn't have microwave in those days....Can't wait to see what you make of that fabric....

DVArtist said...

That is a great technique to get that Batik effect. Good job.

Nicole/Beadwright

Cynthia L said...

I love the way it turned out. I saw that the StitchMap group was doing it, but didn't take the time to join in. We are due another big snow, so I will try it this time!

Shari said...

Tania, Love the way this turned out! Now I will try to find a fun challenge for you to use a section of it on. You can always cut some pieces off to add to your CQs too. So glad you joined StitchMap in time to participate. Hugs.

Diane said...

Awesome fun! My sister does something similar with fabric dyes and they come out beautifully too! I don't mess with dyes, so maybe next winter I'll give it a try with paint!